Disk Utilities

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 14 07:47:01 2002

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 03:40:44PM -0700, puli brothers wrote:
> I was just a casual user of my iMac prior to putting YellowDog Linux on it, and now I find I am using it more and more as I learn about Linux.
>
> My question is predjudiced by my experience with Windows (NT and XP) more than my experience with either Apple's OS or Linux, but in order to keep Windows running well about one a week I would run the chkdsk and the defrag program.
>
> It appears to me that if their was a disorderly shutdown, then on the next boot, Linux repairs the file system -- I assume this is a function that is similar to the chkdsk.
>
> Is there a way for the admin user to force a disk check, either immediately on on the next reboot?

If you're at a point where you can reboot:
	[root@byteme /root]# /sbin/shutdown -rF now

If you're not ready for a reboot:
	[root@byteme /root]# touch /forcefsck
and it run fsck when you next reboot.

The 'F' option for shutdown basically does the second option of creating
the /forcefsck file as the system is rebooting.

HTH

--
-Ken Schweigert, Padawan Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC