Disk Utilities

puli brothers yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 14 08:59:00 2002

Thanks, this is really useful information.

Michael
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Schweigert" <ken@byte-productions.com>
To: <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: Disk Utilities

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 03:40:44PM -0700, puli brothers wrote:
> > I was just a casual user of my iMac prior to putting YellowDog Linux on
it, and now I find I am using it more and more as I learn about Linux.

> > My question is predjudiced by my experience with Windows (NT and XP)
more than my experience with either Apple's OS or Linux, but in order to
keep Windows running well about one a week I would run the chkdsk and the
defrag program.

> > It appears to me that if their was a disorderly shutdown, then on the
next boot, Linux repairs the file system -- I assume this is a function that
is similar to the chkdsk.

> > Is there a way for the admin user to force a disk check, either
immediately on on the next reboot?