YDL fdisk says it can't find hard drive on new dual G4

Tim ODriscoll yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 15 14:18:01 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Grant Chesy wrote:
> If you could tell me how to get a command prompt from the install cd,
> that would be a great help.  Then I could know for sure what the
> partitioning software was, and know the real messages, and not possibly
> cooked versions spit out by the installer.

Do a text install, then switch to another virtual console (while the UI is
waiting for your input) by holding down [alt] and pressing [F2], [F3] etc
until you get to a command prompt. [F1] is the main install TUI, then
there's one for error messages and one for a command prompt.

Once you're at that prompt, you may have to type in the full path to pdisk
because it's actually running a ROM image.. It'll be something like
/sbin/pdisk... You'll figure it out, just keep hitting tab ;)

Ooo, just read the ATA100/66 post... I'm an i386 boy myself, and these
Mac's are a little different... I'd try the ATA66 bus first :)

Once YDL is installed on the disk via the ATA66 bus, would it work if one
swapped it onto the ATA100 bus? I know linux supports ATA100 in the Intel
world, so PPC can't be that far off can it?

Good luck,

Tim.