depmod, lsmod and modprobe problems

Bryan D. Brown yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 21 12:59:01 2002

I am having sound trouble.... but I am also having issues with trying
to figure out what exactly is going on. Here is a list of commands I
have tried an their result:

[root@website root]/sbin/depmod
depmod: Can't open /lib/modules/2.4.18-0.8a/modules.dep for writing

[root@website root] /sbin/lsmod

Yes, you are reading that right - lsmod showed nothing.....

[root@website proc]# /sbin/modprobe dmasound
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.18-0.8a/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

I should also mention that depmod also gives me the same error during boot up.

Any ideas? I am REALLY trying to avoid rebuilding the kernal....

Bryan