Scrabble for YDL or OSX??

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Oct 27 18:45:01 2002

At 19:38 -0500 on 2002-10-27 Beartooth wrote:

 > 	I found
 >
 > http://www.belgarath.demon.co.uk/programs/index.html#XScrabble
 >
 > 	but [...] is a .tar.gz file, which I doubt I have the
 > sophistication to cope with;

You can install it, it's not that hard.  I just did the same in about
ten minutes, as follows:

After downloading the file, I issued the commands:

  zcat xscrabble.tar.gz | tar xvf -
  cd xscrabble

At this point, I took a peek at the README file, but in a nutshell you
can continue as follows:

  xmkmf
  make Makefiles
  make

Then, as root:

  cp XScrabble.ad /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScrabble
  chmod go+r XScrabble
  mkdir /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble
  cp OSPD3.gz /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble
  cp scrabble_permutations /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble
  chmod go+r /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble/OSPD3.gz
  chmod go+r /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble/scrabble_permutations
  cp xscrabble.scores /usr/local/lib/Xscrabble
  chmod go+rw /usr/local/lib/xscrabble.scores
  cd src
  cp xscrabble /usr/local/bin/
  cp xscrab /usr/local/bin/

Finally (again, as root), open the file
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XScrabble in your favourite editor and chage
the string

  /usr/local/bin

  /usr/local/bin/Xscrabble

in those three lines at the beginning of the file that start with

  XScrabble.dictfile:
  XScrabble.permfile:

and

  XScrabble.scorefile:

That's it, issue as a normal user the command

  xscrabble

and enjoy.  As a matter of fact, looks a bit slow to me, but (at the
first look anyway) playable.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.