X setup on imac G4 superdrive

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 28 02:45:02 2002

Hi all. I am trying to configure X on an 17'' Imac G4 with the
superdrive. It is marked as supported on the website, but the default
fddev configuration only work for me in 8bits/static color, which is
just plain ugly.. I tried the nv driver from XFree (with the open
firmware fbdev), without success.

I am quite motivated to get this setup up and running : I tried a
recent benh kernel to see if the fbdev support has improved, with no
success. At a last resort, I compiled a fresh XFree from CVS. the card is =
now recognized (as a Geforce 4 Go), but I still get a black
screen. It may be a minor ppc porting issue as the X server does not
crash. I can see the mouse events in the log from an ssh connection...

So, to sum up, I would like to know if someone has already got an
acceptable setup with this imac model. I have a good linux background, but=
 I am used to the relative good hardware support of linux x86 and I may ha=
ve forgotten things during my experiments with X and fb devices. I have se=
en in a previous post that YellowDog people are also working to improve th=
e graphical installation for the new models - I will share with them any i=
nformation I could get.

Thanks in advance

Cyril Hansen

NetCourrier, votre bureau virtuel sur Internet : Mail, Agenda, Clubs, Tool=
bar...
Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
T=E9l=E9phone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 =80 TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 =80 TTC/min)