Internet connection but host not found

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 29 21:58:01 2002

--------------050603070003010105010004

  Peter -

I have my modem connection running using Gnome's utility. I am not sure
what you're doing when you're setting up, because mine set up without
any problem.

All I did was select PPP dialer (start menu>programs>internet>PPP
dialer). Since it didn't have a modem configured the first time I
selected it, it took me through the setup dialogs. As far as I can
remember, it worked without any further hassles. I don't think I had to
deal with IP addresses at all. I simply gave it a phone number, login
name, and password. You can add alternative phone numbers for your ISP
(if it has them) using the dialup configuration tool (in same menu as
dialer). You can probably set up using the configuration tool before
selecting the dialer and it should bring up a window to select your
service. It will list "loopback" and whatever you named your service.
You select your service and it will bring up a window to confirm your
selection. Then it will bring up a window saying "waiting..." and you
should hear the modem dialing and all the usual noise associated with
making the connection. This window does not go away until you're
connected (unless you click the cancel button in the winow). Once it is
connected, this window goes away and another shows up counting the time
connected and showing modem activity. From here your browsers should not
give you any host not found messages.

Am I understanding from your message that you are able to connect and
run browsers normally in MacOS? If so, this suggests to me that
something is not set up correctly in Linux.

Since I don't remember seeing any windows telling me to be patient (I
don't like being told to be patient) I'm guessing whatever Gnome utility
you used is different from the one I'm using. Do you have a different
version? Mine is whatever came with YDL 2.2.

If this doesn't help, please reply and let me know. Maybe if you can
give me more information about what you see when you go through Gnome's
internet configuration, I'll have some more ideas about what might be wrong.

I just found this that you may find helpful (From RedHat Getting started
guide
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/getting-started-guide/ch-ppp.html#S1-PPP-STARTING)
:

"It's also possible that the pppd is starting too early, before you have
a chance to log in with your name and password. In this case, you
/appear/ to be successfully connected, yet when you try to view a Web
page with Netscape Navigator, you're met with error messages."

Good Luck!

Cindy

--------------050603070003010105010004

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<title></title>
       Peter - <br>
 I have my modem connection running using Gnome's utility. I am not sure
what you're doing when you're setting up, because mine set up without any
problem. <br>
 All I did was select PPP dialer (start menu&gt;programs&gt;internet&gt;PPP
[...]
found messages.<br>
 Am I understanding from your message that you are able to connect and run
browsers normally in MacOS? If so, this suggests to me that something is not
set up correctly in Linux. <br>
 Since I don't remember seeing any windows telling me to be patient (I don't
like being told to be patient) I'm guessing whatever Gnome utility you used
is different from the one I'm using. Do you have a different version? Mine
is whatever came with YDL 2.2.<br>
 If this doesn't help, please reply and let me know. Maybe if you can give
me more information about what you see when you go through Gnome's internet
configuration, I'll have some more ideas about what might be wrong.<br>
I just found this that you may find helpful (From RedHat Getting started
guide <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/getting-started-guide/ch-ppp.html#S1-PPP-STARTING">http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7-Manual/getting-started-guide/ch-ppp.html#S1-PPP-STARTING</a>)
:<br>
"It's also possible that the <tt class="APPLICATION">pppd</tt> is 	starting
too early, before you have a chance to log in with your name 	and password.
In this case, you <i class="EMPHASIS">appear</i> to be successfully connected,
yet when you try to view a Web page with 	Netscape <tt class="APPLICATION">
Navigator</tt>, you're met with error 	messages."<br>
 Good Luck!<br>
 Cindy<br>

--------------050603070003010105010004--