Need Help With AirPort Using Software Basestation (sort of0

Brian Alston yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 30 10:03:01 2002

Hello all

	I have an interesting set up with my computers at my house and I am
having some trouble getting YDL to work there. I will describe my setup.
I have a PowerMac G4 450MHz (sawtooth) running Mac OS 10.1.5. It has the
built in ethernet as well as an AirPort card installed. I have DSL
service with BellSouth running into a Netgear broadband modem. The modem
performs NAT so the IP address into my G4 is the standard 192.168.0.xxx .

As you all know, Mac OS X up until 10.2 did not come with the Software
Basestation software. Early on when using OS X I found a way to run a
software basestation with a few tweeks to my system. I had to modify my
hostconfig file and set up my network manually. I set up my AirPort card
in the G4, under the "Network" preference pane with the following static
settings:

Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Router: n/a

Now, before I installed YDL on my iBook (dual USB) I had 10.1.5 on it as
well. For the iBook I also had to set up the AirPort card manually in
the "Network" preference pane. The settings were:

Configure: Manually
IP Address: 10.0.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Router: 10.0.1.1
Domain Name Servers: 205.152.45.254 & 205.152.0.5
Search Domain: bellsouth.net

What I would do then was to create a network on the G4 and then enable
the settings on the iBook and everything worked great.

Now, enter YDL. I followed the tutorial on the YDL site for configuring
AirPort using the 2.4 kernel at

	http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/airport24.shtml

I have two ifcfg-eth1 files that I use. One for school and the other for
home. The one for school works great. I was up and surfing in no time.
My school's wireless network uses DHCP but the one at my place has to be
configured statically in order to work. So, here is the ifcfg-eth1 for
my house:

NAME=G4
DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=10.0.1.2
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.128
GATEWAY=10.0.1.1
DNS1=205.152.45.254
DNS2=205.152.0.5

After I switch out the files I run

     /sbin/modprobe airport
     /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "G4"
     /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

This should work but it doesn't. The weird thing is that I can ping the
G4 but I cannot ping outside of the G4. I cannot ping the Netgear modem
at 192.168.0.1 nor can I ping anywhere on the internet or use WWW or
anything else.

Well, that's the whole ugly story. Any help you all can be would be
GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks :-)