Modem on G4 PB TI

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 30 10:38:01 2002

At 18:15 +0100 on 2002-10-30 Stefan Bernhard wrote:

 > What Benh Kernel should I use? for iBook???
 > or the usual one?

Umm, I have compiled mine from sources so I wouldn't know for sure,
but if I were to try binaries I would go for a start with the usual
one since there are some differences between Tibooks and iBooks.

 > Do you know how to enalble PCMCIA support?

Did not try this one (yet!), but I believe that both the YDL and benh
kernels come with compiled in support for it, and then see
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html (I also believe that you
can skip the software installation, as the software is installed by
default in YDL, but again take this with a grain of salt as I have not
checked the thing myself).

 > I have 512Mb  in the PB but Konquerer ist still that slow in starting
 > up, also other Programs are slow in starting up.

512Mb should be quite enough: I have the same amount and my machine
almost never swaps, so you should be fine.

Oh, you using KDE?  Then you might have encountered a bug which has
been signalled quite some time ago and for which there exists an
update.  Before trying anything else, take a look at
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/errata/YDU-20020726-1.txt and
update Qt accordingly.

I am not using KDE myself so again I wouldn't be sure, but the
symptoms do match the reported ones.

 > Maybe it is the Kernel.

It's more likely to be Qt actually.

Sorry for not being able to be more specific.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.