Problem while loading YDL 2.3 on 800MHz G4 powermac.

Jim Steed yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 31 08:36:01 2002

Hello Michael,

I am currently trying to work out this problem of the "white screen of
death" on a dual G4 with the YDL support service, however they seem just as
stumped by it as I am/we are.  They claim to have seen it before, but
there's some disconnect where they aren't able to provide a solution as to
how to overcome it.

The network setup does not work during installation.  You will need to get
an updated kernel once you have the system up and running.  YDL-support
pointed me to a updated install ISO that supposedly has the new kernel (not
sure if its okay to post the URL), however trying to boot that new install
CD also gives me the white/grey screen of death on my dual processor G4.

Note:  Your machine likely shipped with a Radeon 9000 Pro (or similarly new
Nvidia) video card, and you will likely have to downgrade that to get
accelerated video (I have heard Radeon 7000 or 7500 is the highest
supported).  You should be able to get Failsafe/safe-video 8-bit color (it
sure is lovely) framebuffer Xwindows running, but that likely isn't good
enough (unless you enjoy not being able to read anything!).

Second Note:  You can still boot the Mac-Os by holding the OPTION key down
when booting.  This will bring up a Mac GUI that lets you pick which
partition you want to boot, and that circumvents the Yaboot nastiness and
lets you get in.

Seeya,
jim steed