Java/Airport Configurator Tool

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 11:14:01 2002

Greetings: I appreciate your timely reply. I have attempted to use your fix but alas it did not work. Please find enclosed below the exact steps I followed to install Java. Currently, any attempt I make to run the app returns a "command not found" message. This is probably so easy to correct that I'll smack myself, but for now I am in need of help!

As far as system details are concerned; I have an Apple G4 PowerBook with 1G of RAM. I am running YDL 2.3 only (no other OS installed). If you can explain to me the exact steps to create a symbolic link to run the Airport Configurator App I will be in your debt. The app currently resides in my /home/ph4Cr/Airport directory. The instructions I followed to install java are below. If the java install instructions are incorrect please indicate exactly how it should be installed and how to set up a symbolic link to it in order to run the Airport Configurator tool.

Wed Aug 14, 2002 ... 06:20:31 pm

I am very sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was out of town for a few days and it threw everything off, including your support issue.

Since I don't have Java on my iBook here, I thought I'd run through the steps and let you know how it goes, what to do, pitfalls, etc.

First I went to

http://blackdown.org

to download the Java SDK. We have a version on our CD I believe, but I'd rather you got the most recent version.

I must warn you here, I'm new to the realm of Java, so this may be overly simplistic.

Also, much of this information came from here:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~bcc20417/compiling-php-java.html

I downloaded the following:

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.blackdown.org/java-linux/JDK-1.3.1/ppc/FCS-02b/j2re-1.3.1-02b-FCS-linux-ppc.bin

After installing, copy the file to:

/usr/local/j2re-1.3.1-02b-FCS-linux-ppc.bin

Then you need to make the file executable:

cd /usr/local

chmod u+x j2re-1.3.1-02b-FCS-linux-ppc.bin

Then execute the binary:

./j2re-1.3.1-02b-FCS-linux-ppc.bin

At this point you must promise your firstborn child by accepting the licence ;-)

I did all of this as root. I hope this works for you as well. You should not get any errors at this point.

While in /usr/local type:

ll

and you should see a directory called:

j2re1.3.1

Now we need to make sure that path is accessible to you. Type:

export PATH=/usr/local/j2sdk1.3.1/bin:$PATH

You need to log out and log back in to activate this new path in your system.

Edit the file /etc/ld.so.conf by adding the following two lines
/usr/local/j2re1.3.1/lib/ppc
/usr/local/j2re1.3.1/lib/ppc/classic

Make the changes take effect by typing:

/sbin/ldconfig

Next, type:

cd /usr/local/j2re1.3.1/lib/ppc

to get into the proper directory, then type:

chmod u+x libjava.so

Then, type:

/usr/bin/ldd libjava.so

You should see output like this:

libjvm.so => /usr/local/j2re1.3.1/lib/ppc/classic/libjvm.so (0x6fefe000)
libverify.so => /usr/local/j2re1.3.1/lib/ppc/libverify.so (0x6fecb000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0x6fe94000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x6fe71000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x6fd1b000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x6fc84000)
/lib/ld.so.1 => /lib/ld.so.1 (0x08000000)

Java should now be set up.

Now unfortunately, I have no way to test this! My knowledge does not extend to actually running Java applications. Once you get this far, if you run into errors, let me know what they are, and how you got them. I will be able to debug from there.

Thanks,

Troy Vitullo
Support

I followed these instructions to the letter and it appears that Java installed correctly. Unfortunately, I am a Linux newbie on PPC so I apologize in advance. Please feel free to pass this issue on to others if you think it to be warranted. If the Java install procedure provided to me was incorrect then please advise me as to the correct installation method and symbolic link setup.  Please provide details if you wish. Thank you so much for your care on the part of a newbie to Linux.

Best Regards

Mark P. O'Brien