Java/Airport Configurator Tool

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 16:37:01 2002

Hi.

At 17:32 -0400 on 2002-9-5 MarkNT1@aol.com wrote:

 > I attempted to start the app with the command that you indicated as
 > it is the same as that specified to call the Configurator tool and
 > command not found was the result.

It might be a dumb suggestion, but have you checked the gas tank? :-)
'Cause command not found is less likely to come from a bad
installation (where segfaults and such are way more common ;-) ) than
from a simple omission, namely to put the binaries in the path.  So
before doing anything else type

    echo $PATH

and see whether the output includes your path to the Java binaries (my
such a path is /usr/local/j2sdk1.3.1/bin and I will use it henceforth
as example, don't forget to change it to yours).  If it is not there,
then include in your ~/.bash_profile the following two lines:

    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.3.1/bin
    export PATH

(if `export PATH' is already there, you don't need to repeat it, just
make sure that `PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.3.1/bin' comes before
it).  In order to have this setting applied system wide, include the
two lines in /etc/profile instead of ~/.bash_profile.

Then log out and back in, or issue the command:

    PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/j2sdk1.3.1/bin; export PATH

and issue, e.g., the command

    java -version

You should see the version string of your Java VM (in any case, you
should see something else than "command not found").

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong with the bash syntax, I am a
poor tcsh user.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.