trackpad notap doesn't work at startup(?!)

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 8 00:27:01 2002

Hi.

At 18:00 -0600 on 2002-9-7 Rupert Morris wrote:

 > Trackpad notap does NOT work on startup, at all. I've got the usual flag set
 > to notap in /etc/sysconfig/mouse, which is called by rc.sysinit. I also
 > manually added two more instances of /usr/bin/trackpad notap to my
 > rc.sysinit (and later removed them), and this did not work either. I also
 > added that command to my rc.local, to NO effect.Once boot up is complete, I
 > tap the trackpad, and tapping is turned on on my Wallstreet 292mhz
 > powerbook. Grrr!!!

Here is a possible culprit: pbbuttonsd.  This is one daemon I know of
that controls the behaviour of the trackpad.  Version 0.14 I mean,
older versions did not feature any trackpad controls.  So, I was
thinking that you might have upgraded to 0.14 (through the upgrade to
YDL 2.2, although I seem to recall that my 2.2 used to feature an
older version) and voila, here comes a new thing that has some opinion
about your tapping.

Anyway, try launching powerprefs (install it if it is not there, I
don't remember the URL but try a Google search after pbbuttonsd, as
powerprefs can be downloaded from the same site) and set the tapping
behaviour from within it to suit your tastes.  Close then the app and
see if this is of any good.

This is just a wild guess, I didn't have such problems.  It is however
consistent with the fact that you did ask for no tapping and then
something else changed the setting back (one thinks).  At the moment I
have no other idea about who might do such a thing.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.