Radeon 7500

Ron McCall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 11 21:36:00 2002

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 03:08:29PM -0400, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> In terms of settings, I boot with no video arguments (my day to day
> boot arguments used to contain only "hdc=ide-scsi" since I use SCSI
> emulation for my DVD/CD/CD-W drive, with the new benh kernels not even
> this is necessary), which I believe is equivalent to OF video.  By the
> way, I was under the impression that OF video just means that the
> video settings are read from OF, the kernel driver fires up anyway, am
> I right?

Stefan,

I finally got a chance to do some more testing.  Booting with no video
arguments at all results in a blank screen.  I vaguely remember
something about a default resolution of 1024x768 and some default
refresh rate that gets selected if you don't specify anything yourself.
If your monitor can sync to this, you're all set.  If not, you get a
blank screen.  That may be what is happening to me with my Cinema
Display which normally runs at 1600x1024.  Not sure.

Anyway, with video=radeon:dfp, I finally got all my console problems
resolved and was also able to re-enable the "UseFBDev" option.  All
seems well!

Thanks for the help!

Ron McCall