Radeon 7500 and DPMS

Ron McCall yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 11 21:47:01 2002

OK, I've got one last issue with my Radeon 7500 card and Apple 22"
Cinema Display.  Previously, with my Rage 128 Pro card, I was able to
enable the DPMS option in XFConfig-4 and then do an "xset dpms force
off" to completely blank the screen (so that I could leave the computer
running 24/7 but not damage the display).  The white power light stays
on in this case but the display is completely black.  I have been
running in that mode for over a year now.

I tried doing the same with my Radeon 7500 card.  The DPMS option is
being recognized by the radeon driver according to my XFree86 log file
but when I do the "xset dpms force off" the screen doesn't go completely
black.  I don't know if it is the backlight or what.  I am a little
concerned about leaving the monitor in this state for hours on end so I
have had to shut down the system when I wasn't using it.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the display to completely turn
off like it did before?  Note that this is one of those displays where
the power switch doesn't really turn the display on and off, it is meant
to turn the computer on (if off), put the computer to sleep (if awake)
or to wake the computer (if asleep).  I have tried also using the xset s
screen blanker and the KDE blank screen screensaver but always get the
same result.  I have even tried disabling DPMS in XFConfig-4 to see if
that changed anything with all these different options.  It didn't.

Thanks for the help again!

Ron McCall