shutdown but no power off

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 19 14:08:00 2002

We have the firmware in our XServe set to power up on AC power restore.
  However, this only seems to work if the power was lost with the
machine running.  If we remove AC power after a shutdown -h, it will
not boot w/ power restoration.

However, pull the plug on it, and it *will* boot.

Seems rather useless to me for any system on on UPS, but what do I know?

Anyway, is there a way I can have our system shutdown and halt but not
do a power off?  It doesn't seem that shutdown itself allows this.
Even invoking "halt" as halt will do a power off.

What's the cleanest solution to this?  I guess changing to single user
runlevel and unmounting the filesystems and waiting for death might
work, but I'm not even sure we could umount / with the system running...

Thanks!

-Michael