unmotivated bootstrap failure of gcc-3.3 on pm8600/G3

Andreas Tobler yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 25 00:31:01 2002

Hi,

don't know if anyone has an idea.

Since a few days I run ydl-2.3 on a pm8600/G3 300MHz with the stock
kernel from ydl. I have about 368MB RAM enough disk space and nothing
strange installed.

I want to run gcc compiles on this machine, but I do not succeed without
manual intervention. The compile fails due to unknown reasons.
Restarting the compile passes the failure from before. But for me this
is no explanation. The same gcc tree passes on another machine running OS-X.

Also I encounter the build is going VERY slowly. On my wallstreet 250
with Linuxppc it was much faster. ( I can't say any figures since this
wallstreet runs now OS-X and does the same job as the 8600 should do.
And it does it faster with less CPU and less RAM).

So, my questions, are there any know limitations of the ydl stock config
which reduce memory consumption or what ever?

Below see my soft config.

Any hints would be great since I' m out of ideas now.
Also, an old question I guess, when does the swap gets into account on
this Powermacs? I have about 400M and according to top nothing used.

Thanks in Advance!!

Andreas

----
[andreas@pm8600 scripts]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 40-43 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 300MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
bogomips        : 599.65
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,8500 MacRISC
detected as     : 16 (PowerMac 8500/8600)
pmac flags      : 00000000
memory          : 368MB
pmac-generation : OldWorld

[andreas@pm8600 scripts]$ cat /proc/meminfo
         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  373895168 58494976 315400192        0  2215936 32878592
Swap: 419422208        0 419422208
MemTotal:       365132 kB
MemFree:        308008 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:          2164 kB
Cached:          32108 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          20140 kB
Inactive:        25712 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       365132 kB
LowFree:        308008 kB
SwapTotal:      409592 kB
SwapFree:       409592 kB

[andreas@pm8600 scripts]$ ./ver_linux
If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.

Linux pm8600.andreas.nets 2.4.19-4a #1 Wed Jun 5 01:34:59 EDT 2002 ppc
unknown

Gnu C                  2.95.4
Gnu make               3.79.1
util-linux             2.11f