iBook battery life

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 3 23:40:01 2003

--Apple-Mail-4-264227603

I think what I meant to say was,

'I suspect it may be time to junk OSX in favour of Linux for the time
being.'

I like the iBook because it has (had) good battery life and it runs a
form of Unix. Whether it's running Linux or OSX doesn't really make all
that much difference to me. I just want some kind of GUI, a terminal
app and all the GNU command line goodness.

The reason I posted the original message is that I've read about a lot
of folks having battery problems which they suspect are related to OSX.
I really just want to know if anybody running another OS is having the
same problems. Have Linux users experienced rampant battery failure too
?

Greg

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 04:13 PM, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> On 4/4/03 12:03 AM, "Greg Hamilton" <gregh@object-craft.com.au> wrote:
>
>> There's some suggestion that the problem is not just hardware. OSX may
>> be over charging the battery or reporting incorrect battery charge.
>> I'm
>> curious to know if any iBook owners running YDL are experiencing these
>> battery problems. I haven't heard a peep from folks still running OS9
>> which tends to lend some credence to this notion that it's software
>> related.
>>
>> I suspect it may be time to junk OSX in favour of Linux.
>
> What are you, kidding?
>
> It's true that X.2.3 has well-documented battery-problems. Not just on
> iBooks, either, but on PowerBooks, too. So your solution is to stop
> using
> the OS?
>
> Ask yourself this: How many discussion threads on this list in the last
> month have *not* been about problems making hardware work in YDL 2.3
> or 3.0?
>
> Seriously now: Apple has a problem. They've already worked out a
> battery-conditioning solution and published it on their website.
> Reports of
> success with it are legion. I am sure it will be worked out in the next
> incremental update or in Panther. But, for goodness' sake, scrapping
> the OS
> is not the answer. It's not even related to the answer.
>
> There are lots and lots and lots of things that Linux does better than
> OSX
> (or OS9, or any MS OS, or any other closed-source OS). But flawless
> hardware
> support is NOT on that list.
>
> Let's be serious in our evangelism.
>

> -SD

--Apple-Mail-4-264227603

I think what I meant to say was,

'I suspect it may be time to junk OSX in favour of Linux <bold>for the
time being.'</bold>

I like the iBook because it has (had) good battery life and it runs a
form of Unix. Whether it's running Linux or OSX doesn't really make
all that much difference to me. I just want some kind of GUI, a
terminal app and all the GNU command line goodness.

The reason I posted the original message is that I've read about a lot
of folks having battery problems which they suspect are related to
OSX. I really just want to know if anybody running another OS is
having the same problems. Have Linux users experienced rampant battery
failure too ?

Greg

<excerpt>On 4/4/03 12:03 AM, "Greg Hamilton"
<excerpt>There's some suggestion that the problem is not just
hardware. OSX may

be over charging the battery or reporting incorrect battery charge. I'm

curious to know if any iBook owners running YDL are experiencing these

battery problems. I haven't heard a peep from folks still running OS9

which tends to lend some credence to this notion that it's software

related.

I suspect it may be time to junk OSX in favour of Linux.

</excerpt>