still 3 clocks

mike newman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 11 11:14:01 2003

i would have thought that a right mouse click (aka F12) on the offending=20
window would have given you a popup menu with (among other things) some k=
ind=20
of "kill" command..... but apparently not.

a method of last resort is to type "ps -el" in an xterm.
actually, probably you want "ps -el | more" since there will be at least =
a=20
screenful of processes.

you should be able to identify the offending program and kill it using "k=
ill=20
<process_number>". often (though not always) the most recent processes wi=
ll=20
have higher process numbers, so you can probably identify which of the th=
ree=20
clocks you want to kill. this is a simple (though crude) way to annhilate=
 any=20
program that is somehow not paying attention.

NB: you can also do "pkill <name>" but i tend to avoid that since mistypi=
ng=20
<name> can have bad consequences.

mike newman