DRI and the radeon.o kernel module

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 11 15:19:01 2003

Hi Stefan,

On Fri Apr 11 2003, Stefan Bruda wrote:

> I should have thought myself to look into the os-support subdirectory,
> but the fact is that I did not, so thanks so much for the solution.
> The kernel with the new radeon DRM driver compiled just fine, I cannot
> reboot right now but will do so soon without expecting problems (if
> there are any, I will report them to the list of course).

I still find all the different parts of X, X drivers, DRI, and
kernel modules, and their interworkings somewhat confusing.

> There is one addition (specific to Radeon cards?) to your howto
> though:
>
> At 01:50 -0400 on 2003-4-11 Bill Fink wrote:
>  >
>  > 	2.  Within your XFree86-4.3.0 source tree:
>  >
>  > 	    cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel
>  > 	    cp * /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm
>  >
>  > 	    This replaces your kernel's DRM modules with the newer
>  > 	    ones from XFree86-4.3.0
>
> There are as well shared (OS independent) files that need to be copied
> into /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm.  So one should also do within
> step 2:
>
>             cd <base>
>             cd xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/shared/drm/kernel
>    	    cp * /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/drm
>
> where <base> is the place where one unarchived the XFree86 tree.
>
> Without this the compilation of radeon.o complains (justly ;-) ) about
> missing headers.

Ah, I see.  I didn't remember doing that step and in fact I didn't,
although I did build in support for both R128 and RADEON DRM kernel
drivers.  I built my XFree86-4.3.0 from a RedHat source RPM, and copied
the drm kernel drivers from the BUILD/XFree86-4.3.0 tree _after_ the
build of XFree86-4.3.0.  In my os-support/linux/drm/kernel directory,
there are symbolic links to the os-support/shared/drm/kernel directory
for all of the files that are in the os-support/shared/drm/kernel
directory.  I guess these symbolic links were created by the build
process, and aren't in the original source tree.

> Did I thank you for the howto?  Well, thanks a lot, it's been very
> useful.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it was useful to you and hopefully others,
as it is a somewhat complex process to get DRI working, but now that
it is, it's definitely nice to have.  Does anyone have a list of
games that can take advantage of the 3D acceleration that work on
PPC Linux?  I already have tuxracer and chromium (and quakeforge
but I need to find somewhere I can buy the original Quake1 game
for its data files).

						-Bill