DRI and the radeon.o kernel module

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 11 20:59:01 2003

At 21:34 -0400 on 2003-4-11 Bill Fink wrote:

 > The "AGP failed to initialize" would lead me to believe it's not
 > actually using AGP, although I did set CONFIG_AGP=y and
 > CONFIG_AGP_UNINORTH=y in my kernel.  But then it later says it's
 > "Using AGP" so I'm confused.

The AGP does initialize at the very beginning before the DRM even
thinks to kick in.  Hmm, that's quite interesting (my log by the way
looks like yours).  What happens is like this: first (before loading
the DRM modules), it sets up AGP (4x mode, no less) and all.  Then it
goes into the DRM thing, fails to initialize the AGP and (as the log
says) falls back to PCI.  But then it claims that it is uses 8M
for... AGP aperture.  So AGP is used after all or what.

The behaviour looks the same in your case and mine, so I guess it is
immaterial for this issue whether it is a Rage 128 or Radeon.  And
then the jumpy behaviour manifests itself for the Gnome terminal only
(xterms show themselves pretty smooth), and it is not that much of an
issue.

I will try some games (any good ones to recommend?  I am a total
newbie in this area) and that would be the true test of the thing, eh?

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.