YDL 3.0 on Xserve

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 12 18:55:01 2003

Hi Michael,

On Sat Apr 12 2003, Michael  Mackay wrote:

> My experiences with 3.0 on an Xserve:
>
> I bought one of the very latest machines from Apple, and so far have not =
> been able to get 3.0 (or 2.3 for that matter) loaded on it.  Apple =
> apparently put a new Promise ATA controller in the new ones, and the YDL =
> install disks don't see any ATA drive in the Xserve machine because of =
> this. =20
>
> The support folks at YDL are working on it, but if any one has =
> ideas......

I think you need the latest 2.4.20-ben10 kernel.  From the CHANGES
file:

2.4.20-ben10:
              - Fix detection of Promise PDC20271 controller (new Xserve
                revision), add entry for this machine to pmac_features.

I believe you can tell yaboot somehow via the yaboot.conf to get the
kernel from an HFS/HFS+ partition, but I don't know exactly how, and of
course you'll have to figure out some way to get the 2.4.20-ben10 kernel
onto the HFS/HFS+ partition in the first place.

						-Bill