magicfilter, ghostscript

Cynthia Croy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 17 07:28:01 2003

  My frustrations in getting my printer to work continue . . .

I think my problem is probably that I need to convert from postscript
level 2 or 3 (which Abiword uses - and probably other apps) to
postscript level 1. The only ways I've gotten any output from the
printer were sending a Latex formatted level 1 document directly to the
port, and printing a postscript test page from printconf using a raw
printer driver, gpr and the PPD for my printer from Adobe. I would also
like to be able to print other types of files - diagrams from xfig for
example.

So, I'm confused about a couple things. First, how does printconf send
it's test page in a format my printer understands? Second, how do I get
postscript levels 2 and 3 converted to level 1? I think ghostscript has
a utility to do it, but I need to know how to set things up to get it to
do so. Is ghostscript supposed to do this automatically, or do I need to
modify my printcap file? Finally, I believe magicfilter is supposed to
make conversions of graphics and other types of files to postscript, but
I haven't been able to understand how to do that either. I have
magicfilter-2.2.k/filters/cps300.def set as an input filter in
printcap.local but I keep getting a message about permission denied when
restarting lpd. I've tried root and lp for both the owner and group. How
do I need to set my permissions to make this message go away?

I've read a lot of documentation and how-to pages, and it still isn't
clear to me what I need to do to get things set up so that I can click
on the print button in an application and get my printer to print.

If it's necessary information, the printer is a LaserWriter Select 310
connected to /dev/ttyS1, and I am running YDL 2.2.

Thanks for any help,

Cindy