Partitioning 12" G4 Powerbook

David Chart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 17 11:18:01 2003

I got my 12" Powerbook today. I've repartitioned the hard drive to give
me 33.5 GB for Linux. Note that, as far as I can tell, the stuff you get
from Software Restore is exactly the same as the factory standard,
although you should run Disk Utility to fix permissions after restoring.
(df gives the same sizes for the factory install and the restored set,
so if they aren't the same you get bonus stuff from restoring...)

I'm now waiting for my YDL 3 CDs so that I can put Linux onto that
partition. I thus have a couple of advance questions about partitioning.

1) I've got 640MB of RAM. How big should my swap partition be? I've
heard 128MB, same size as RAM, and no swap at all. What do people here
prefer?

2) I keep / and /home on separate partitions. Are there any other
directories it's worth splitting out? I've heard /var suggested, to keep
wild logs from taking over the whole disk, and also /usr/local so that a
re-install doesn't blow away all the extra stuff you've put in. How well
do they work? And if I make /var separate, what's a good size?

3) How much disk space does a development workstation install of YDL 3
take up? I don't imagine for one moment I'm going to be short of disk
space, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Thanks for your help.

--
David Chart
http://www.dchart.demon.co.uk/