My YDL 3.0 Install

Drew Lane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 22 16:55:01 2003

>During reboot, I occasionally get a screen that tells me the DMA sound
>device has either disappeared or re-appeared, and what do I want to do
>about it?  Clearly, there's something flakey about the sound driver or
>the sound hardware.  I don't care at all about sound on this machine, so
>it's just an annoyance.  I'm sure other folks will care passionately.

I just did 'chmod o+rw' on both /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp
and then did a 'modprobe dmasound_pmac'

Now I've got sound working for the most part, but it's still not perfect.

If I try to play an audio CD with gnome-cd it doesn't play at all:
gnome-cd:2968 WARNING **: (linux_cdrom_get_status): CDROMVOLREAD ioctl
failed Operation not supported

However, it does work with kscd (the CD player in KDE); weird!

I would like the sound module to load on boot, and I'm not sure why it's
not doing this.
I put an entry into rc.local to make it load the module after boot, but
I don't think this
is the correct way to handle this.

What's the preferred way to do this?
I played with modules.conf, but no joy.

>Cups just appears to freeze during the initial bootstrap.  If you let
>it sit long enough, something eventually times out, and the boot
>proceeds normally.  It only happens on the first boot after the install.
> On subsequent reboots, cups does not take a long time to initialize.

OK, maybe CUPS is working now - I let it sit there for a long while.
There must be a big config file it has to load the first time around. (?)

Regards,

Drew