can I get my Apple_partition_map partition back?

bruce yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 29 23:31:00 2003

Hi:
I seem to be just a little bit screwed.  I got YDL3.0 yesterday and
thought I'd just pop her on the old G3 to see how she flies.  I had
everything backed up to a 80G IDE drive that I use for movies and
music.  I use PsyncX to keep OSX backed up from the primary SCSI disk to
the IDE.  So if anything went wrong I'd just use PsyncX to restore my
OSX .  I have two LVD SCSI 18G disks one for OS9 and one split between
OSX and YDL.  I have run YDL since 2.0 with moderate success and
thought  3.0 shouldn't be too much different.  I used pdisk to clean up
/ , /usr and swap(these were already created for 2.3)  and told the YDL
installer to go ahead and do it's thing.  There was a little message
that said my partition map was not correct but the installer could fix
it for me.  OK - why not?  Also I don't like to bother the family with
LILO booting  and have been using OF aliases to boot the Linux de jure
so I said don't mess with setting up boot partitions.  The installer
chunked along and congratulated me on my fine choice of operating
systems.

Time to re-boot.  OOPS!   MacOSX now gives me the big circlewithaslash.
Booted into my backup YDL 2.3 (on external SCSI) and used pdisk to look
at partitions.  Ohmygod both my primary and backup OSX disks now have
partition 1 as Apple_Bootstrap.  MacOSX doesn't allow me to mount either
one so I can't restore.  Booting into OS9 I can still mount the disks
and see all the data (at least the OS9 drivers are still there).  I
tried pdisk, mac-pdisk, fdisk, drive setup, Norton Utilities, OSX Disk
Utility and FWB HD Toolkit to see if there was some way to restore the
partition map so OSX could recognize it.  I couldn't get any of those
guys to help me (pdisk at least said he was unable to create partitions
of type Map).  They all allow me to initialize though!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get OSX to mount at least one of these
disks?

Thanks for reading,
Bruce Woller