Rage 128 and 17" Studio CRT - some progress - some help?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 11 08:02:01 2003

At 02:17 -0600 on 2003-8-10 Nick Shaff wrote:

 > On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 10:07  PM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
 > >
 > > In terms of console the solution I found is far less elegant: I placed
 > > in /etc/rc.sysinit a call to fbset like this:
 > >
 > > /usr/sbin/fbset -a -t <timing info>
 > >
 > > where <timign info> has been obtained by trial and error
 >
 > Everything works great so far cept this part. if I do and fbset -move
 > command on the console itself it moves over mabey one character, ok
 > fine, do it again, it shifts back, and repeats this alternating back
 > and forth

Ah, yes, of course, now I remember why I used the -t option for fbset
in console mode.  Basically, the same thing happened to me (the -move
did not move the screen as advertised).  So what I did was this: ran
fbset without arguments, wrote down the timing information (second
line or something) so that I have something partially good to get back
to in case I screw things up, and then started to alter the timing
issuing fbset -a -t commands.  When staisfied with the result, I
pasted the corresponding command in /etc/rc.sysinit.

For instance, I started on the mentioned iMac with 12738 171 13 24 1
96 3 as timing information, and I ended up with 12738 187 13 24 1 96
3.  A rather slight change as you notice, but it makes all the
difference.

I am sure there is something better than trial and error but I could
not find it.

 > would the timing info be the same as the stuff I used for
 > the Xfree config?

Not quite, it is the same information but differently organized.  For
console fbset, timing information is given in the following order:

    the  length of one pixel (in picoseconds)
    left and right margin (in pixels)
    upper and lower margin (in pixel lines)
    horizontal and vertical sync length (in pixels)

I believe that you should mostly be interested in the second and third
number in there (left and right margin).  So change these for a
starter and see where you get from there.

Have fun,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.