Cannot execute rc and rc.sysinit

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 14 12:38:06 2003

Apt is broken in the basic YDL3.0 install.  I don't know what exactly
you mean by "upgrading with apt-get update/upgrade" .  In my experience,
unpatched "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" gives some scary error
messages.  If you ignored them and went ahead anyway, it probably hosed
the installation.

Since you haven't been able to do anything useful since your initial
install, here's my recommendation:

Re-install YDL 3.0 from scratch, then use "yum update" instead of apt.

Yum will update apt to a version which is no longer broken.  Then you
can go back to using "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" if you want,
but the conventional wisdom on this list is that yum is easier.

Rick