ADSL Success and questions

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 20 11:43:01 2003

--part1_133.241129a7.2c750d08_boundary

I set myself the task of getting the network working on my iBook under Linux.
I started with the info the YDL site and the info on the roaring penguin
site. After some work, I assigned local IP addresses to my onbord ethernet and
airport devices (eth0, eth1). Then using the trouble shooting guide found on the
rp site, I determined that the rp-ppoe rpm that came with the distro is
broken. It does not generate /etc/ppp/ppoe.conf file. I reinstalled without that
rpm, downloaded the suggested rpm from the rp site. That one worked. I now have
access to the internet from my Linux system. This effort took a number of
instalations. I chose the longer approach of a full instalation rather than forcing
a possible inconsistant system. Perhaps I need to learn more.

I then updated all rpms EXCEPT the rp-ppoe using yum. The listed rp-ppoe rpm
is newer than both the one that from the distro and the one from the rp site.
I am a bit leary of the official distro. The old once burned story. Has anyone
had good results from the updated offical rp-ppoe rpm? Is there a way I could
check an update log to make a guess as to what has changed?

Joe S.

--part1_133.241129a7.2c750d08_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" F=
AMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2">I set myself the task of getting the network=20=
working on my iBook under Linux. I started with the info the YDL site and th=
e info on the roaring penguin site. After some work, I assigned local IP add=
resses to my onbord ethernet and airport devices (eth0, eth1). Then using th=
e trouble shooting guide found on the rp site, I determined that the rp-ppoe=
 rpm that came with the distro is broken. It does not generate /etc/ppp/ppoe=
.conf file. I reinstalled without that rpm, downloaded the suggested rpm fro=
m the rp site. That one worked. I now have access to the internet from my Li=
nux system. This effort took a number of instalations. I chose the longer ap=
proach of a full instalation rather than forcing a possible inconsistant sys=
tem. Perhaps I need to learn more.<BR>
<BR>
I then updated all rpms EXCEPT the rp-ppoe using yum. The listed rp-ppoe rpm=
 is newer than both the one that from the distro and the one from the rp sit=
e. I am a bit leary of the official distro. The old once burned story. Has a=
nyone had good results from the updated offical rp-ppoe rpm? Is there a way=20=
I could check an update log to make a guess as to what has changed?<BR>
<BR>
Joe S.</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Geneva" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SI=
ZE=3D"2"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_133.241129a7.2c750d08_boundary--