ADSL Success and questions

Daniel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 20 14:20:01 2003

At 01:42 PM 8/20/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>is broken. It does not generate /etc/ppp/ppoe.conf file. I reinstalled
>without that rpm, downloaded the suggested rpm from the rp site. That one
>worked. I now have access to the internet from my Linux system. This
>effort took a number of instalations. I chose the longer approach of a
>full instalation rather than forcing a possible inconsistant system.
>Perhaps I need to learn more.

I may have missed your point, but if you simply needed to remove your
rp-ppoe rpm, you could have done:
rpm -e rp-ppoe
         or
apt-get remove rp-ppoe
         or
yum remove rp-ppoe

>Is there a way I could check an update log to make a guess as to what has
>changed?

If you just need to know if /etc/ppp/ppoe.conf is installed, you can do this:

Download the rpm you want to check.  (Look in /etc/yum.conf to see what
servers yum is going to, then ftp into them and manually download the
rpm)  Assuming your rpm is something like rp-ppoe-3.4_7.rpm  Use:
rpm -qlp rp-ppoe_1.1.rpm

The 'q' means query, 'l' - lists the files this rpm will install, and 'p'
means look at this rpm file and not installed rpms

If the list is too long to read, pipe it through grep:
rpm -qlp rp-ppoe_1.1.rpm | grep poe.conf

Hope this helps.

Daniel