startx doesn't work; help please

Suman Chakrabarti yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Aug 20 16:13:01 2003

I successfully installed YDL 3.0 on a dual-800 G4, booted into text
login, ran Xautoconfig. However, startx doesn't work.

Can anyone suggest how to edit my XF86Config file?

Is there a search string that I can use to find the answer in the
archives, if this has been posted before?

Here's a history of the errors I get:

I got two different sets of errors at different times.

1) After first successful bootup and text login

	I ran Xautoconfig, then tried startx. I got the following:

(EE) NV(0): no valid modes found
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

1 to 2) I then booted and ran OS X until the next day

I should note that I have 3 displays on my dual-800 G4.

AGP - GeForce3 64 MB- Apple Studio Display 17" CRT (an ADC connector)

PCI - Radeon 32 MB- Sony Multiscan G520 21" CRT

PCI - Rage 128 (Pro?) 16 MB - Apple Studio Display 21" CRT Blue & White

However, I got the *same* error when I'd previously physically
removed the PCI cards and installed YDL with only the GeForce3 and
Apple 17" CRT.

2) Today, I booted into YDL, and to my surprise, saw Kudzu detecting
new hardware: ATI Rage 128, and ATI Radeon. I answered 'yes' to
configuring both cards.

With renewed hope, I ran Xautoconfig, and startx. I got *different* errors:

(WW) R128: No matching Device section for instance C0xxID (?)
PCI:16:18:0) found
(WW) R128: No matching Device section for instance C0xxID (?)
PCI:16:19:0) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

P.S.	I did post to newbies, but I didn't get an answer there.

--
Suman Chakrabarti, Ph.D.
Thermal / Fluids / Plasma Propulsion Modeling Engineer 	(& Kitchen Sink)

TD40 / Propulsion Research Center		<Suman.Chakrabarti@nasa.gov>
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center		AIM/iChat:  <scstr@mac.com>
Huntsville, AL  35812
			Schedule:	<webcal://ical.mac.com/scstr/Work.ics>

TD40 is a part of the Space Transportation Directorate at NASA MSFC
Any opinion expressed is my own and not that of NASA

"If it's Sumanly possible, it'll be done."