kernel panic on boot

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 21 20:31:01 2003

>Thank you for the advice.  I tried adding root=/dev/sdb6 to the
>'More Kernel Arguments' field in BootX.  This didn't work.  After I
>switched the order of my SCSI drives I then tried root=/dev/sda6
>which had the same result.  I know I'm missing something here.  If
>entering the above as a BootX kernel argument then how does one set
>the root device correctly in my bootloader?

?? With BootX there is no need to do what you are saying. Right there
in front of you, in the BootX splash screen, is the field "Root
Device: /dev/". Just enter "sdb6" (or whatever) in that field. If you
are sure about what partition you installed the root directory in,
you're done, and your particular problem lies elsewhere - see the
other responses to this thread. The "initrd=..." suggestion may work
- I've not tried it.

Stefan Jeglinski