Unable to login to my system!

Robert Davis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 28 12:26:01 2003

Fixed.  The problem turned out to be a bug in my login script (a fix
recommended by a vendor for a bug in their browser!).

Felix,
No, root cannot log in through the login manager screen.  Not
allowed.

Denis,
Yes, the machine is on a network, but for security reasons I usually
keep telnet access turned off except when I'm using it myself, and
I had never gotten around to setting up ssh access, which would be
more secure and, thus, okay to leave on.  I _was_ able to remotely
mount the problem machine to a functional machine and I should've
been able to fix it that way. However, I missed one of the two bugs
I had introduced into my login script.

I fixed it by first backing up everything important in my account,
then doing a bare-bones re-install of YDL, being careful not to
re-initialize any partitions. During the install I added a new user
with a default account setup.  At that point, I was able to log in
using the new account, "su" to root and fix my login file.

Highly recommended:  1) A second, emergency account that you can log
in to if your login gets hosed.  2) SSH access turned on.

Thanks to both you guys for your suggestions,

Robert