Airport config - Almost there (I guess)

George H. Yeager yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Aug 31 15:58:01 2003

Kristian T. wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I still canıt get my airport to do, as I would like it to do (ie connect me
> to the Internet). I have read every article in this mailinglist concerning
> airport configuration, and it has helped me quite a lot, but now Iım
> stuck... Please help.
>
> I have a tangerine iBook with a ³unextreme² airport card. I'm trying to
> connect to my extreme basestation (the original broke down so I had no
> choice but to buy the extreme one) which is connected to an ADSL connection
> with a static IP.
>
> When I run OS X, I have no problems using the airport.
<snip>

Kristian:

Your situation looks very much like mine.  The config files are
practically identical.  I have an iBook2 12 inch, Airport not-extreme,
and OS X wireless works just fine.  I'm seeing exactly the same results
you report with YDL 3.0.  I've been communicating with YDL on my
problem.  I sent them a detailed and uncensored step-by-step log of my
wireless config process including cut and pastes of all command line
dialogue.  It  appears that at least some iBooks simply don't work with
wireless.  Last week they were supposed to devote some time to the
issue.  I have not heard any results yet.

I'm trying to be patient.  This is the only gripe I have about YDL 3.0
(really cool, to my mind).  However, it's a killer if it can't be fixed.
  I may be donating this machine to a college bound youngster with OS X
and relacing it with a sub-sized Intel notebook upon which I can run
Linux with wireless.

Let me know if you find the secret to success.

George