Mapping F12 for "eject" function

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Dec 2 08:18:04 2003

I bought an ergonomic keyboard from Kinesis because of prob's I was
having w my wrists. Solved the prob instantaneously-->love< this keyboard!

The main prob w the keyboard is that F12--clearly legended on the key
with the "eject" symbol--will not eject a loaded cd. As I understand it,
I have internally config'd the keyboard to the Dvorak layout--however,
the OS (either Debian or YDL) sees it as standard "pc104" layout. That
config works great for all other uses, but F12 will not eject.

I wrote Kinesis about the prob; but they weren't very helpful, not
knowing much about Linux. Does anyone have any ideas about re-mapping
the F12 key so that it will open the cd tray? There were times during a
recent Debian install when the "eject" command was not available; and it
was a major p.i.t.a dealing w the prob w/out some external way to eject.
Is there some other key combo that is standard in Linux for opening the
cd tray from the keyboard?

Many thanks.    --Harvey