YDL Boots, Mac OS 9 Does Not

Jay Truesdale yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 3 10:46:02 2003

I have a rev A Bondi Blue iMac with a new 60 GB hard drive installed,
192 MB RAM. I've installed Mac OS 9 and YDL 3.1, YDL boots fine, Mac OS
just hangs, i.e. at the yaboot prompt I enter "m" for mac os and I see
"Booting MacOS..." and the machine hangs (I've waited >10 minutes)
until I reboot it.

Here is how I set up the hard disk:

Booted from Mac OS 9 CD, ran the disk tools and created two partitions
on the disk. I left the first one unallocated, formatted the second one
as Apple HFS, installed Mac OS9. System boots up Mac OS9 just fine.

Booted from the YDL 3.1 CD, did an "install text" and went through the
entire process. I used the auto partition option which created three
partitions, 1st is the 1MB apple_partition_map, second is 3xxMB swap
and the third is the root (/) partition that I changed the size to be
around 15 GB. Told the install to install yaboot. Installed everything.
The installer found the mac os partition (judging by the size of it)
and I set "macos" as the boot label per the on-screen instructions.

What am I doing wrong in regards to booting Mac OS9? Do I need a
different format for the MAC OS partition so yaboot can see it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.