YDL Boots, Mac OS 9 Does Not

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 3 11:15:03 2003

You're using yaboot, so I assume this is a New World machine?

Jay Truesdale wrote:

>I have a rev A Bondi Blue iMac with a new 60 GB hard drive installed,
>192 MB RAM. I've installed Mac OS 9 and YDL 3.1, YDL boots fine, Mac OS
>just hangs, i.e. at the yaboot prompt I enter "m" for mac os and I see
>"Booting MacOS..." and the machine hangs (I've waited >10 minutes)
>until I reboot it.
>
>Here is how I set up the hard disk:
>
>Booted from Mac OS 9 CD, ran the disk tools and created two partitions
>on the disk. I left the first one unallocated, formatted the second one
>as Apple HFS, installed Mac OS9. System boots up Mac OS9 just fine.
>
>Booted from the YDL 3.1 CD, did an "install text" and went through the
>entire process. I used the auto partition option which created three
>partitions, 1st is the 1MB apple_partition_map, second is 3xxMB swap
>and the third is the root (/) partition that I changed the size to be
>around 15 GB. Told the install to install yaboot.

What I don't see is where the boot partition itself is
(Apple_Bootstrap). I think of the 2nd partition on the hd as the
"normal" place you wd expect to find it.

> Installed everything.
>The installer found the mac os partition (judging by the size of it)
>and I set "macos" as the boot label per the on-screen instructions.
>
>What am I doing wrong in regards to booting Mac OS9? Do I need a
>different format for the MAC OS partition so yaboot can see it?

Can you use pdisk to furnish us with a list of your current partition
layout?