compiling wxPython and GTK+

John Duarte yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 3 11:24:02 2003

Help.
I am trying to compile wxPython 2.4.2.4 and it errors out during the configure
stage when trying to test GTK+.
Following the wxPython README.1st.txt instructions, I have made a directory
called 'build' at the root of the source tree, entered it and set a variable
WXPREF=/usr/lib/wxPython. I follow with the following configure command:

../configure --with-gtk --prefix=$WXPREF --enable-rpath=$WXPREF/lib
--with-opengl --enable-geometry --enable-optimise --enable-debug_flag
--with-libjpeg=builtin --with-libpng=builtin --with-libtiff=builtin
--with-zlib=builtin --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode

During configuration it exits with the following error:

... <begin configure snip>
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
installed.
configure: error:
Please check that gtk-config is in path, the directory
where GTK+ libraries are installed (returned by
'gtk-config --libs' command) is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
equivalent variable and GTK+ is version 1.2.3 or above.
... <end configure snip>

I have the GTK+ and GTK+-devel versions 1.2.10-22 installed as part of the
standard YDL-3.0 install.
I don't know the equivalent variable for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
How do I get wxPython to see GTK+????

Thanks,
John