ppc kernel environment question

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 3 19:08:02 2003

I am having bunch of "unresolved symbol" problem during the driver =
module loading and have not figured out what is the cause yet. =20

The driver is compiled fine under ppc with YDL kernel 2.4.23-0.5.0b.  =
The driver is built with Rules.make under kernel source, and it is the =
same Rules.make the boot kernel is using.=20

I did same procedure as I normally do under x86.  First boot system with =
new kernel.  Then compiled driver with same boot kernel environment, =
meaning referencing all header files and other kernel sources under same =
kernel source directory.  Under x86 environment, after driver is =
compiled, I will be able to load driver module without any problem.  =
However, under ppc, it gave me many kernel related function symbols =
unresolved like following:

unresolved symbol ioremap
unresolved symbol strchr
unresolved symbol __up
unresolved symbol free_irq
unresolved symbol pci_read_config_dword
... ...
and it goes on.

I checked kernel as well as System.map file, all mentioned system calls =
are there.  I also checked Rules.make and Makefile under /linux kernel =
source tree and compared with my x86 2.4.20-8 files but did not see any =
issue there.  Initially I thought it is a driver build environment =
mismatch with boot kernel.  Apparently this is not the case since the =
system is boot from new built kernel with the same source I am using for =
building the driver.

It is still looks to me a problem of driver loading in the kernel where =
those system calls are missing but I don't know why, specially I am =
using same procedure as I do under x86.

Many thanks for any suggestion!

Eddie