Another question about YDL 2.4.23-0.5.0b

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 4 19:06:02 2003

Hello Dan,

I am able to boot G5 with YDL linux 2.4.23-0.5.0b kernel and driver =
compiled with same source loaded OK.

Now I have another YDL 2.4.23-0.5.0b kernel related problem.  After auto =
boot from this new kernel, CD-ROM cannot be accessed anymore.  Commands =
like eject, mount cdrom, etc no longer working.  'mount cdrom' gave the =
message of "can't find cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab" but actually =
the cdrom entry is in the file of "/etc/fstab".

I was trying to boot from cdrom again with ^c hold during the boot and =
trying to boot with option "linux-safe root=3D/dev/sda4".  It might =
because everything in the system is changed to fit in 0.5.0b, I cannot =
boot from cdrom anymore. I need to copy some files in and cd-rom is the =
only accessible media I can use.  I was thinking if I can boot from =
cd-rom again, then I can access cd-rom with boot kernel from cd-rom.  I =
even tried to use old yaboot.conf but it did not work either.

Is anything I can do to make G5 cd-rom accessible again, based on YDL =
2.4.23-0.5.0b?

Many thanks!

Eddie (Yiding) Wang
SPG, Agilent Technologies