YDL Boots, Mac OS 9 Does Not

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 5 15:35:05 2003

Jay Truesdale wrote:

>---- Here is the yaboot.conf:
>
>boot=/dev/hda6
>device=/pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ide@20000/disk@0:
>init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
>options.\n\n"
>partition=8
>timeout=30
>install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
>magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>default=linux
>

>image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.22-2f
>        label=linux
>        root=/dev/hda8
>        read-only
>        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-2f.img
>

>macos=/dev/hda7
>defaultos=linux
>delay=10
>enablecdboot
>---------- end of yaboot.conf

Jay,   Again, nothing seems obviously amiss in the config as I study
mine alongside yours; it looks as if the installer properly configured
OS9 to dual boot, with YDL as the default. Again, I am hampered by lack
of experience w booting OS9--in particular, I know that the
Apple_Bootstrap partition on which yaboot resides must come >before< any
partition w a bootloader for MacOS--and I am not completely confident of
my understanding of your partitions #2-5 and the role they're playing in
the boot process, if any (though if they were the problem, I guess you'd
be unable to boot YDL rather than OS9).

The only things I can suggest are a thorough study of
man yaboot
man yaboot.conf
man bootstrap
man ybin
If you can find it, a manual entry for OpenFirmware. I can't pull it up
right now, but it seems I did at some point. (Man is picky about case
when requesting a page.) If there actually isn't an entry, check other
sources of info for Open Firmware--I know I found one & studied it while
dealing with this problem of dual booting & specifically being unable to
boot MacOS(X in my case).

There is an excellent tutorial on yaboot at
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/
which I >strongly< recommend. I read it in its entirety during my own
travails & then referred to it constantly thereafter. It's oriented
toward Debian users, but I don't think that will make any difference for
the issues you're dealing with. Of particular interest to you will be
the procedures of holding the keys      Command-Option-p-r      or
Command-Option-o-f      while booting. I think one of those should get
you in to OS9 on a kind of emergency basis until you get the problem of
the boatloader worked out.

There is also a yaboot users list at
http://lists.penguinppc.org/yaboot-users/
which I found an invaluable resource. Anyone can post. The list is
maintained by Ethan Benson, whom I came to think of as "Mr. Yaboot." He
gave me very valuable assistance.

So sorry that's all I can offer at this point. Keep posting as you work
forward & maybe somebody on the list will get a good idea.

Good luck.    --Harvey