Problems with activating new kernel

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Dec 5 23:19:01 2003

I just updated to 2.4.22-2g (available from the YDL.net/enhanced
yum repo.  It has the fix for the "brk()" bug) and had a similar problem.

Luckily I noticed what the boot log stuff was saying about the
disks it was finding.

22-2g was finding my hard disk as /dev/hda while 20-8d was finding
it at /dev/hde.  (the partition numbers didn't change, luckily)

So...

I booted with the 20-8d kernel and modified /etc/fstab to account
for the disk being at the new location.

Then I went back to BootX and told it about the root partition
being in the new location and booted with the new kernel.
All was well after that.

Enjoy!

Rick