Install: never get past an initial black screen

Daniel Gimpelevich yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 7 09:33:02 2003

You say you have the PowerBook G3 w/built-in FireWire a.k.a. "Pismo" which
is a "NewWorld" machine. Try this: Boot into OS X, open a Terminal window
and enter the following commands exactly:

nvram boot-command="mac-boot"
nvram boot-device="cd:,//:tbxi"

Then, without rebooting, go to System Preferences:Startup Disk and select
your OS X folder/partition. This should enable you to boot into OS X without
the option key. You can hold down the 'C' key on the BUILT-IN keyboard to
boot from the BUILT-IN CD-ROM drive.

Or, as an alternative, you can restart immediately after entering the
commands without opening System Preferences, and it should try to start from
the built-in CD-ROM drive. Then, upon successful yaboot installation, you
should get the normal menu at the next boot.

HTH.
--
"Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do."
                                                        --National Lampoon