What's up with apt (and in praise of yum)

Charles Trois yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Dec 7 09:58:02 2003

le 6/12/03 20:01, yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com =E0
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com a =E9crit=A0:

> Message: 11
> To: Yellow Dog-General <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> From: Thomas Carlson <tcarls@earthlink.net>
> Subject: What's up with apt
> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:52:40 -0700
>=20
> Is apt now totally defunct in YDL 3.0?  As of this week it doesn't seem
> to be able to access updates.  With yum terminally afflicted with
> "Errno104, Connection Reset by Peer", what is the best way to update a
> new installation now?

Thomas,=20

It is not true that yum is "terminally afflicted with Errno104". That just
means that the server is overworked, and all you have to do is to replace i=
by a mirror.=20

You will find the list of mirrors on the YellowDog site; choose the one tha=
you like best and edit /etc/yum.conf accordingly, like this (in my case, th=
mirror chosen is the one in Switzerland):

[main]
cachedir=3D/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=3D2
logfile=3D/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=3Dnewest

[base]
name=3DYellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
#baseurl=3Dhttp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/base/
baseurl=3Dftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/yellowdog/yum/3.0/base/
=20
[updates]
name=3DYellow Dog Linux 3.0 update
#baseurl=3Dhttp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/3.0/update/
baseurl=3Dftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/yellowdog/yum/3.0/update/

When this is done, yum works perfectly.

Charles