Bad language

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Dec 8 04:48:01 2003

I am sorry for the following off-topic message.  It is not related to
Macintosh, or to Yellow Dog Linux, but is tangentially related to how
one behaves on mailing lists, so here goes.

I wrote in my last message:

> Ef you see kay nVidia, I say.

The unprotected version of the sentence above provoked the wrath of
the ScanMail system of a subscriber in State College, Pennsylvania.
The system sent me an automatic notice to say that the message had
been quarantined.

While I am perfectly aware of the vulgar and rude nature of the word
I used and others of its kind, I would nonetheless make the bold
suggestion that people who subscribe to any mailing lists should do so
from accounts not protected by automatic childminders, content-related
spam filters, etc., and definitely not attended to by autoresponders.

When I post a message to a mailing list, all I need to know is whether
the moderator of the list approves of it.  If they don't, they will
surely indicate that (for example, by terminating my membership).

What I _don't_ need to know is whether one or more of the list members
did not receive my message because of politikal hyperkorrektness, or
because they're on holiday and meanwhile, Wendy Flintstone is taking
care of business, or because somebody's misguided spam filter thinks
that helsinki.fi must be a spammer domain because it's not in .com,
.net, .org, .edu or .mil.

Sorry about the rambling, but I really am quite bored to tears of
politikal korrektness and autoresponders of any kind on mailing lists.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,