12/2 G5 install disks -- kernel panic on boot

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 06:33:02 2003

Hi.

At 03:56 -0500 on 2003-12-10 Ian Marlier wrote:

 > BUT, my machine doesn't want to respect the yaboot install.

I assume that this is the same problem I had during the install (same
dual 2GHz G5).  If so, problem is that ybin did not for some reason
run during the install process so you'll have to run it by hand.  Boot
from the install CD, press TAB to stop the timer and type

    linux root=/dev/sdaX

where X is the number of your root (not bootstrap) partition--you did
record it right?  Once you get to a shell prompt run

    /usr/sbin/ybin -v

and reboot the system.  Be prepared to do all of this again.  You will
hopefully find the familiar first stage boot prompt, but you may
receive an error (I did) in the second stage and complaining about an
illegal device.  Cause is that for some other reason the installer did
not figure out the OF path to my hard disk correctly.  If you get this
repeat the procedure of booting off the CD with linux root=... option,
and once back to the shell prompt run

    /usr/sbin/ofpath /dev/sda

Edit then /etc/yaboot.conf and change the <watever> in the line

    device=<whatever>

to the result of the ofpath command.  While you are at it, check that
you have the macosx line in there with the format

    maxosx=/dev/sdaY

(where Y is the partition on which you installed OS X).  After all the
editing my yaboot.conf ended up looking like this:

    boot=/dev/sda9
    device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
    init-message="Welcome to Turing!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
    partition=11
    timeout=30
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    default=linux64r
    macosx=/dev/sda14

    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.0-0.test9.1.70hsmp
            label=linux32
            root=/dev/sda11
            read-only
            initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.0-0.test9.1.70hsmp.img
            append="video=ofonly hda=ide-scsi"

    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.0-0.10.64a
            label=linux64
            root=/dev/sda11
            read-only
            append="video=ofonly hda=ide-scsi"

    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.0-0.10.64a
            label=linux64r
            root=/dev/sda11
            read-only
            append="video=radeon:dsp hda=ide-scsi"

    delay=10
    enablecdboot

Save the file, run again

    /usr/sbin/ybin -v

and reboot.  You should be in business.  By the way, as you can see
from the image sections, the experimental 64-bit kernel actually
supports my Radeon 9600 and yes, it's at full resolution.  X works
with the unaccelerated framebuffer, but at least it works--will
compile a development snapshot of XFree86 as soon as I find the time
and I hope then to have accelerated X too.  The machine is really fast
and a pleasure to work on (even with nonaccelerated X).

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.