Next issue: airport

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 11:31:02 2003

Good luck, Ian--config'g Airport when I first installed YDL was a
nightmare! But it seems that if you have the airport (and hermes)
modules loaded & recognized, you're pretty close. When I was at the same
stage in a Gentoo installation coupla days ago, it was sufficient just to

dhcpcd eth1
and then
ifconfig eth1

The output of the latter included UP and RUNNING--the magic words. I'm
not up with Mozilla or anything yet, but when I pointed lynx to a URL,
away I went.

One other thing occurs to me. In retrospect, I've concluded that my
basic config was complete & usable a >long< time before I realized it.
That is, everything was ready to connect thru Airport, except that for
some reason I couldn't turn Airport itself on from within YDL. (For that
matter, I still can't, and have been too much involved with other issues
to try to work that one out. My iMac & my wife's iBook share the
connection thru the Airport base station; and I still bring the
connection up & turn it off from the iBook--I can't do that from inside
YDL for some reason.) So: Is Airport already on or off when you start
trying to make the connection? If off, is there any way you can get the
connection thru Airport up independently? if not from another computer
as in my case, by booting into the Mac side first (if you dual boot),
bringing up & leaving on the connection while you reboot into YDL?

Sorry if this is wide of the mark or irrelevant to your case; but if
someone had told me early on what I wrote above, it wd have saved me a
lot of grief.    Good luck.    --Harvey