Installing YDL 3.0.1 with replacement internal CD/DVD drive : solution

E. Miller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 12:09:01 2003

Just wanted to pass along the resolution to my install problem.  Turns out
that YDL (as well as other Linux ISO CDs as well as Panther) have a problem
when the DVD-ROM/CD-ROM is not the exact type that the CD expects.  In my
case, I have a replacement Toshiba DVD-ROM drive that was slave instead of
master on the bus...since it wasn't identifying itself the way that the CD
expected, the CD was unable to boot.

The fix was to copy three files to the root of my OS X drive (boot.msg,
yaboot, and yaboot.conf) with yaboot.conf modified to point to the correct
boot files on the root. boot into open firmware, then type
boot hd:,\yaboot

Hope this helps someone else.

A big "thank you" to Daniel Gimpelevich who went out of his way to help me
out on this one.

Eric