YDL and firewire drive

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Dec 10 12:21:02 2003

I just found out that YDL will not install onto a firewire drive.  And
according to the installation guide, one cannot boot YDL from a
firewire drive.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will allow installing onto a
firewire drive?  I know I can get SuSE on Intel to install from a USB
CD-ROM by manually installing the appropriate drivers before continuing
the install (needless to say, I had to boot from either a floppy or an
ATAPI CD-ROM).

If not, then I can possibly remove the drive from the firewire case and
install onto it as an ATAPI drive.

However, what I *really* want YDL for is to install it on a 20Gb drive
that I can boot through the OpenBoot screen (hold the Opt key on boot)
and have my iBook come up running YDL.  I have been able to clone my
OSX install onto a firewire drive and can successfully boot to it, so I
know there are no hardware limitations.  However, I'm sure
hot-unplugging that drive would raise holy hell with the OS, but I'm
smarter than that most of the time.

The next thing I want to do then, with this setup is to have my iBook
stand in for our company server (XServe) while I'm upgrading it to YDL
3.0.1.  In case of emergency (failed update or something) I could also
boot that XServe to that same external drive.  I like to plan for
contingencies.

Has anyone tried or been able to (install to/boot from) an external
firewire drive?

-Michael