[OT] Re: Cannot boot OS X anymore

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Dec 11 08:43:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 09:23, Thomas Kuehner wrote:
> Hi Ben
>

> > It has something to do with OpenBoot getting fragged. I have done this a
> > number of times (mainly by zapping the PRAM). The only way I could get
> > OS X back was to reinstall OS X from scratch. Let me know if you figure
> > out another way!
>
> That's what I found out to. When keeping the ALT-Key pressed I can boot Mac
> OS 9 and therefrom starting YDL using BootX, so no probs.
>
> But when I choose Mac OS X using the Startup Disk control panel and reboot
> the Mac stops booting and stays in an OpenFirmware prompt on the internal
> video.
>
> If I knew how to pass the correct boot-device setting in the OF I could
> force the machine to boot from OS X.

Hmm. You are better off then I was. When I zapped the PRAM, all I could
get was OS 9; it seemed as if OpenBoot was erased from ROM.

> I had the same problem booting from the YDL 3.0.1 CD on my PBG3 Bronze and
> had to boot into OF and give em a 'boot cdrom' command to make it boot from
> the CD.
>
> If I reinstall Mac OS X will the issue dissapear or come back after booting
> YDL again?

I assume you use BootX to go into YDL. I myself boot into OS X usually
and when I hold down the Option key I can go into OS 9 and then boot YDL
with BootX. I have had no problems with going in and out of each OS for
at least 6 months. So you should have no problem, after reinstalling OS
X, getting back into OS 9 and YDL.

There might be a way to type in the right boot command in OpenBoot but
the disk syntax is greek to me. Some forums or Apple's support site
might shed some light on it. However, I find it easier to reinstall OS
X. I have the restore process down to a science!

HTH,

Ben Ricker

P.S. Do you run a USB card? I cannot get mine to work to save my life.
OS X just will not recognize it!